Thread: Excessive number of gifs in posts

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Excessive number of gifs in posts

I've recently seen trend to add large number of pretty big animated gifs made from clips already posted on topics.

I'm on 2Mb/s connection and it happened to me couple of times already to wait more than a minute for page to load. Is this really necessary? I mean, clips are already posted for those who want to see them, and forum's bandwith is being wasted not to mention performance hit on some slower computers.

2. # ADS

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    18,460 Posts
    There has been, recently, an upsurge in gifs posted. I think this coinsides with the upping of the filesize limit to 2.5mb.
    Once they've been posted, it'll die down, I'm sure.

If it is causing you a problem, try turning off animations in the settings of your browser. It may help.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    1,421 Posts

Re: Excessive number of gifs in posts

Quote Originally Posted by miltom
    I've recently seen trend to add large number of pretty big animated gifs made from clips already posted on topics.

I'm on 2Mb/s connection and it happened to me couple of times already to wait more than a minute for page to load. Is this really necessary? I mean, clips are already posted for those who want to see them, and forum's bandwith is being wasted not to mention performance hit on some slower computers.
    would you rather we all go without...? got your network is slow

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    6,077 Posts
    I find it strange that someone with 7 posts in 2 1/2 years would criticize a poster with over 10,000 posts.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    7,838 Posts

Gifs

At first I thought they were a pain in the a** as well, but then they grew on me, and I started to collect them. If anyone can complain about page load speeds, it is me. I am on dial up. (I know cave man speed). Besides, you can shut them off in your settings on the Board. That does help.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Gifs

Quote Originally Posted by robn1
    Besides, you can shut them off in your settings on the Board. That does help.
    Well, now that you say that, I can Besides I'm not the one paying for the hosting

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Dialup here too (21k....wheeee!!!!). I noticed the animations but they don't really bother me much because I've gotten to where as soon as the page loads enough to show the picture placeholders, I end up hitting the stop button and just going right-click, Show Picture on a few down through the page until I find some that look good. So if it's a .gif that says 1.5MB, uh, no clicky on that one.

What hammers my connection more than anything are the people that post from off-board sites, like that imagevenue or whatever it's called. So many of those thumbs try to load before the rest of the page even shows up that it really slows stuff down (moreso than normal that is). I'm not gonna bitch though, because some of those guys post some really good sets. IOW, I just put up with it and pray that we get friggin' DSL out here one of these years. LOL.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    3,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by butler bill
    I find it strange that someone with 7 posts in 2 1/2 years would criticize a poster with over 10,000 posts.
    Bwahahahaha! He now has 8 and 2 of them are in this topic. He's on a roll bill.

Even she finds this hilarious!
    **** Dead Image$hack Link ****
    Last edited by Turtle; February 10th, 2016 at 10:28 AM.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    3,509 Posts
    nice one

**** Dead Imagehav3n Link ****
    Last edited by Turtle; February 10th, 2016 at 10:28 AM.