Thread: Max 20 pics per post

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    3,007 Posts

Max 20 pics per post

What is the reason that now we could post max 20 pics per post (I think that it is default settings for that forum) Most other forums have 40 or unlimited, so could the number be increased?

2. # ADS

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    3,031 Posts

Re: Max 20 pics per post

It could be increased, but the mod team has decided that 20 pics would be a good number for easier management and editing.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    7,838 Posts

This was done so that those members who do not have access to high speed could still have access to pages while the board was being rebuilt. A mega post on one page would make access to that page impossible. It also serves as a check on those who would post large numbers of candid pictures, which could be boring. (EG 75 photos of a celeb walking down a street instead of posting the few pictures of the 75 that are interesting.) I know this requires work on the part of the poster, but the post is much more interesting.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    3,509 Posts

Another reason for the 20 post rule is that some Mods are very strict on the
    no duplicates rule. Having to scan thro' 100 pics and comparing them with
    all other pics in the thread is very time consuming

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    3,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rider71 View Post
    "This was done so that those members who do not have access to high speed could still have access to pages while the board was being rebuilt. A mega post on one page would make access to that page impossible. It also serves as a check on those who would post large numbers of candid pictures, which could be boring. (EG 75 photos of a celeb walking down a street instead of posting the few pictures of the 75 that are interesting.) I know this requires work on the part of the poster, but the post is much more interesting."

This is one of the few forums that limit thumbs so severely. Taking so much consideration for the members without high speed access risks losing the interest of the many more members WITH high speed who like to view and collect full sets. Other forums with unlimited thumbs are immensely popular due to the viewers of the posts ability to decide for themselves which pictures are interesting or boring. When I first joined this forum I thought that the rules for posting were somewhat too restrictive in that there were certain models and sites that could not be posted along with the 20 pic limit. I received an email last week from the forum informing me that some restrictions were lifted. One of the reasons I never posted any of my collections here is because I have so many sets, that having to go through and choose the 20 most interesting pictures would be very time consuming. Besides, who decides what's interesting or not, and to whom?

"Another reason for the 20 post rule is that some Mods are very strict on the
    no duplicates rule. Having to scan thro' 100 pics and comparing them with
    all other pics in the thread is very time consuming."

If the Mods want to be strict on duplicates and make things simple, all they have to do is send the poster a warning and make them change it themselves. With warnings, most forums use the 3 strikes and you're out format (or some form of it). Besides, most posters who post full sets, don't post duplicates on purpose, the photos are only similar because they're shot in quick sequence by the photographer.

I for one would like to see the 20 pic per post limit changed so that full sets can be posted. How about it?
    So the reason you've only posted one pic is because you can't post full sets if I understand you correctly. That's way too funny, but certainly a good excuse. You or anyone else can post all of the full sets that you like. You can do this by putting the set in a zip file or the like and post the link with the size and preview. You can also post the set by posting them 20 pics at a time per post. That means if you have 100 pics you make 5 posts of 20. So you see, you don't have to go through all of your many sets and determine which 20 are the best to post. However, that's a good excuse not to post if you please. The thing is that people who really want to post do and those who don't don't. There are plenty of full set posts on this board. From my years of experience as modding at this forum, I find that it's usually the ones who post the least that have complaints about this and that. They generally will have as many or more complaint posts as any posts that include pics. In the meanwhile those who want to post and be contributing members of the board spend their time doing so.

As for telling members to change their duplicates and warning them to do so, we've been doing that since the board started. Even so, there are times that we mods have to get the job done ourselves. We're also well very aware that some sets have pics that are similar due to the shot sequence. We're not concerned about those. Oh and let's not forget about the 3 strike rule you mentioned that some boards use. I'm really glad you've brought this to our attention, but the fact is that we've had the 3 strikes and you're out rule all along. The bottom line is that we'll be keeping the 20 pic per post limit for the forseeable future. Of course this doesn't apply if you post them in a zip like file. I repeat, the 20 pic per post rule does not prohibit anyone from posting full sets. I couldn't begin to tell you the number of full sets posted on this board without any excuses.

We do appreciate offering your suggestions that we've already had in play years before you became a member. We also appreciate your one posted pic and 4 posts in total of which two are in this thread. The problem is that your one posted pic is invalid, because it's a fake clown make-up pic that is in the Celebrities forum. So I'll be deleting that directly after I make this post. That will then leave your remaining 3 posts, to include the 2 in this topic as invalid because you haven't posted a valid first post with a pic yet. Therefore I'll be deleting those 3 as well. My friendly suggestion to you is read and familiarize yourself with the rules of the forum you wish to post in before posting again.
    Last edited by gryphondo; June 19th, 2011 at 01:18 AM. Reason: correct punctuation

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gryphondo For This Useful Post: Dantithesis
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

I do agree with the point that we shouldn't cater to those behind the times because they ARE the minority.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

To me, the 20 picture limit (as a potential poster) just means if I put more than 20 on an imagehost, I just won't post them here. ANY rule is ok with me!!!

There are advantages and disadvantages to ANY decision. I did most of my posting here with a limit of 4 and after the crash my post count went from 1100 to 70 so I guess I lost as much as anyone when self hosting stopped. Posting to an imagehost site who might go bust (several have) and then imposing a 20 picture limit seems to me to be a bit much. There are still (without mentioning names) a few forums which self host and many others without the arbitrary limit for other hosts.

Just MY SINCERE RANT!!!

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    3,031 Posts

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who remembers when the post limit was 4 pics when using the boards now defunct upload feature. For awhile there, we could only upload 2 pics. We then went to 15. When the old board crashed I personally lost about 40,000 posts. Big deal. I reiterate, anyone can post more than 20 pics if you do it in a zip like file. If you post more than 20 on an image host, it's a very "simple" cut and paste procedure to post 20 of the total in one post and 20 more in another post and so on. Way easier and less time consuming than using the old boards image upload. This coming from someone who mostly posted approximately 44,000 posts using the old boards image upload.

True that there have been image hosts that have come and gone, but there are those that have been around for a good while. I've personally got images posted on external image hosts that have been there for years. Either way, nothing is absolutely assured. I've seen plenty of boards similar to ours come and go since our beginning in 2004, but we're still here. There will always be likes and dislikes no matter what. I myself have more than my share of both, but I work with what is in play set by the parameters of the rules. I too am ok with ANY rule and I've never let Any rule have an effect on my posting.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

I have seen some members posting multiple posts of 20 posting up to 200 pictures per celebrity per day. I have seen duplicates of images happen this way as well as a hardcore post that I have reported. I have suggested to Mike that an addition to the 20 picture rule be put to include a limit on how many times a day someone can post for each celebrity to reduce the risk of this happening and give other members a chance to post new pictures without having to look through so many newly posted images to see if the picture they want to post has been posted. Mike's response was to post the message in the forum for other members to decide.
    Someone is always counting

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by depravo View Post
    I have seen some members posting multiple posts of 20 posting up to 200 pictures per celebrity per day. I have seen duplicates of images happen this way as well as a hardcore post that I have reported. I have suggested to Mike that an addition to the 20 picture rule be put to include a limit on how many times a day someone can post for each celebrity to reduce the risk of this happening and give other members a chance to post new pictures without having to look through so many newly posted images to see if the picture they want to post has been posted. Mike's response was to post the message in the forum for other members to decide.
    I think I know who you're referring to and I've already had a talk with this person about double checking for dupes before posting.

On another note, I actually prefer downloading archives of sets instead of one pic at a time. One pic at a time is just pointless when it could be done all in one go with an archive.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

would still want this to be above then 20 pics..

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    6,077 Posts

1. Upload 100 pics to a host
    2. Paste the links to your notepad
    3. Every 20 pictures hit the ENTER bar to leave a line between sets of 20
    4. Post the sets of 20 as 5 different posts.

Thats how I do it, and you don't need to count the pics more than a time or two. You will see how big a block of space that 20 take up and then just guesstimate, erroring on the short side.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    18,460 Posts

What several of our members do now is to upload their pictures to ImageBam or ImageVenue, who provide a gallery link as well as links to the pictures.
    They then post up to 20 preview pictures with a seperate link to the rest.
    ie:

More here: Gallery Index
    or http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/15xk...q9hrq8kamivc3/

20 pictures was agreed on as we needed a number easy enough to deal with. I, personally, wouldn't berrate someone who posted a few more than agreed on, providing it was a good post.
    Another consideration is the size of the thumbnails. 20 posted at 180x180 won't look a lot, but some hosts allow up to 350x350. So 20 pictures at that size soon fill up a page and take longer to load.