Actress Alicia Silverstone has filmed herself chewing up food and passing it into her toddler's mouth — like a bird feeding a chick.

And the 35-year-old Clueless star has posted the video to her blog in a bid to promote the practice to other mothers.

"I just had a delicious breakfast of miso soup, collards and radish steamed and drizzled with flax oil, cast iron mochi with nori wrapped outside, and some grated daikon. Yum!" she wrote on her blog thekindlife.com.

"I fed Bear the mochi and a tiny bit of veggies from the soup… from my mouth to his. It’s his favourite... and mine.

"He literally crawls across the room to attack my mouth if I’m eating."

The video shows Silverstone chewing up some food from a bowl before letting her 10-month-old son Bear Blu eat it out of her mouth.

Some health experts believe the practice could be harmful.

"There are those who think that a mom chewing a baby's food provides helpful enzymes from her mouth but it doesn't seem like a hygienic practice," Dr Jennifer Landa, MD Chief Medical Officer of BodyLogicMD, told FOX411's Pop Tarts column.

"Various viruses and bacteria, but especially herpes virus, may be passed from mother to baby.

"These microbes present a challenge that the infant’s immune system may not be ready for.

"So the practice is questionable for safety, and then there's a certain ick factor here that needs to be considered."

Dallas family therapist Melody Brooke questioned whether it was appropriate on a psycological level for a toddler to be diving into a mother's mouth for food.

Deputy editor of parenting site Babble.com Mira Jacob said the concept was not unique but it came across as odd.

"A lot of moms chew a portion of their baby's food; it's often a very natural transition," Jacob said. "But this just looks really funny, like Alicia is making out with her son.

"There is nothing terribly wrong with it, it just looks really weird."

But Heather Lounsbury, founder of LiveNaturalLiveWell.com, said Bear would have already been exposed to any infections Silverstone had through her breast milk.

"I'm sure Alicia is brushing her teeth regularly so as to not expose her baby to bacteria in her mouth," Lounsbury said.

"It is dangerous to try and live in a completely sterile environment, because it's impossible.

"And it doesn't allow for the body to fight minor infections so it can fight more serious illnesses it may be exposed to."

Source: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertain...er-like-a-bird

On a personal note to this, I know of children that have been feed this way that don't learn to eat properly and end up in hospital with malnutrition. Chewing up food before spitting it into the child's mouth take away the nutrition that the child needs.