Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last

Thread: WEB-HOSTING AND LINKS

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    As often happens , you were replying as I was replying. Gryphondo is referring to the "Add Attachmt" tool to upload content. I agree that it would be nice to have a utility that could "spy" into a posted .rar file without downloading it but that's a Holy Grail issue that I think could only be solved with an intermediary download site that provided viewing as a proxy host that would download content ad-hoc to allow you to view it before downloading. I've never thought about that before. Interesting point. Your request to illustrate my previous point - the link advocate talked about a separate part of the board for links and image-hosting sites like RapidShare and that's a situation that would be an admin's nightmare. So we agree in certain ways and disagree in others but in a very intelligent way. That's why I love this place.

2. # ADS

Thanks Given
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lineback
    You can be unhappy with the phpBBS software framework that we have to work with but unless you know of Perl scripting that is an unused feature of this board software this is wishfull thinking.
    hmm... Perl can do html posts and gets via LWP::*... It becomes a challenge/PITA to do post page chains... It's not impossible, but just troublesome.

We would all like things to work more efficiently, me most of all, but unless you have an insiight into adding already existing phpBB functionality to this board I don't see us improving an already functional system.
    if enough people say, hey ya this is a good idea, lets do it, then it's just a matter of the community contributing to make it better. After all its _only_ a matter of programing, debugging, and time =)

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Obviously, you are a programmer and would like to make the board more functionall and I'm behind you 100% but I'm just a former hardware engineer and sysadmin with a little programming knowledge. If you are familiar with this phpBB software, I would guess written in C++, and know of any enhancements that could be made from their module library, please let the mods know and they will pass it to the main admin and one of the creators of this board, Mike. Any of your expertise is appreciated. We would all like to make the board better and any substantive contributions you could make would be appreciated.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    6,077 Posts
    For Horsty, My thoughts on WinRar

http://board.celebsdb.com/thread11256.html

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Your previous reply was pretty much over my head but if you were saying a Perl script could process posts and sort them into split threads by post type, I certainly recognize that is possible from my work with awk, which is the baby brother to Perl. My point is still the effort for the mods or admins to split 45 pages of threads is beyond doing. Still an interesting idea but not practical. The system is slightly imperfect as it is, just like our democracy. Disagreement causes discussion which causes change and that's how things wok best.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    BRAINDEAD!!!

What the bloody hell are you talking about???

Is this Chinese or what? English???

I'm spending the whole evening in using my dictionary but I can just not FOLLOW!!!

a little kidding is allowed, yuuuuuh, thank ya!

and by the way; we all upload our stuff now directly to the HD of this board, yeah?

Really?
    oh yeah! oh yeah! oh yeah!

Thanks Given
    Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

Okay, so I've already had my say, but I've just discovered a new twist!
    My I.S.P in their wisdom has decided to "protect" it's subscribers by putting us all behind a proxy, nice thinking Batman. Only one small problem, everytime I visit Rapidshare, "I am either busy with a download" or "Have exceeded my allowance."
    Of course there are the options of paying to upgrade from free , or doing my downloads between 03h00 and 05h00 CET.

One of the other boards at which I'm a member allows only link postings. I consider myself a patient sort with a good sense of humour (I'm still on dial-up with nearly 360MB of uploads @ 2-3 kBps (approximately 40 hours of waiting)), but searching for content, finding it and then not being able to download it ...

So, whilst I disagree with posting links, it's ironic that it's the only way that I can share some of the content[/img]

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Sorry, Horsty! I normally try to write in straight forward English, if there was such a thing with a language that comes from Latin and German. This guy obviously has a programming background so I wanted to see if he knows of anything that could be added to this board's software to make things better. I know the writing got a little geeky and for that I apologize. Didn't mean to make you go to the dictionary!

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Hopper - since you are one of the few non-mods who reads posts here and have posted FAQ-type stuff on several subjects if you occaisionally find a RapidShare post you think would contribute to the board, you can PM me and I'll download and post it. Obviously ten requests a day won't get done but I don't think you would abuse the offer. I'm on DSL so my speed is pretty good and I'm about to upgrade which will double the download speed. Proxy servers are great in certain situations for security but they definately complicate things. I really like the little guy tossing the computer. As I wrote to BB a while back, years ago I had a surplus XT-clone I used when on call to dial into the company network. In winter it took booting several times for the hard drive to warm up enough to work and the keyboard was flaky. When I bought my first laptop I took that old piece of junk out in the backyard and shot it five times with my Browning Hi-Power 9mm! One of my most satidsfying experiences in twenty years in the computer business!

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Hey lineback mate, absolutely no reason to apologize. I was really just kidding. And I like it really very much to use my dictionary and I like to read evey line from people here who have English as their mother tongue, so I can improve my English skills. I appreciate your way of posting and writing and explaining the things very much and also I learn a lot, not only concerning English.
    Keep it up my friend!

Gesundheit!

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsty
    Gesundheit!
    Gesundheit back at you, man and thanks for starting such a great discussion. Now we've confused all the English speakers who wonder how a German in Greece knew I sneezed. I didn't and I'm not going to explain further.

Thanks Given
    Thanks
    Thanks Received
    Hopper - since you are one of the few non-mods who reads posts here and have posted FAQ-type stuff on several subjects if you occaisionally find a RapidShare post you think would contribute to the board, you can PM me and I'll download and post it. Obviously ten requests a day won't get done but I don't think you would abuse the offer. I'm on DSL so my speed is pretty good and I'm about to upgrade which will double the download speed. Proxy servers are great in certain situations for security but they definately complicate things.
    Thanks Lineback, really appreciate the offer and promise not to harass you with links other than those I can't source elsewhere.
    Between splitting files for BB, posting helpfull advise, and d/l rapidshare links are you going to have time for surfing? So if there is any content in particular that you are looking for please let me know so that if I find a link I can PM it to you.
    Again, Muchas gracias amigo!

Thanks Given
    Thanks
    Thanks Received
    BRAINDEAD!!!

I'm spending the whole evening in using my dictionary but I can just not FOLLOW!!!

and by the way; we all upload our stuff now directly to the HD of this board, yeah?

Really?
    Horsty, anstatt ein Wörterbuch, warum nicht benutzen Sie verwenden ein sofortiges Übersetzung Programm? Wenn Sie nicht ein haben, ist hier eine Verbindung bis ein nettes on-line.

http://world.altavista.com/tr

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    6,077 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopper
    BRAINDEAD!!!

Really?
    Horsty, anstatt ein Wörterbuch, warum nicht benutzen Sie verwenden ein sofortiges Übersetzung Programm? Wenn Sie nicht ein haben, ist hier eine Verbindung bis ein nettes on-line.

http://world.altavista.com/tr
    English please, or a translation will do. We must make sure that you guys are not discussing marching west again :P Although I wouldnt object

Thanks Given
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    1 Post
    ... If you are familiar with this phpBB software, I would guess written in C++...
    Passing familarity with it... This board is written in php "scripts" and php is inturn written in c/c++.

... know of any enhancements that could be made from their module library, please let the mods know and they will pass it to the main admin and one of the creators of this board, Mike.
    ok.. what is mikes username? I have a few questions on the config to ask before moving forward. once those questions are answered, I can develop an implementation plan and post in here and ask for mikes blessing.

it's important to note eveything is a waste of time unless the admin is on board with the idea.

Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last