6,077 Posts
    It's DANIEL !!! Thanks for the thought.

2. # ADS

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    I understand your concerns.
    I only used image$hack because it offers this neat frame for uploading images directly from the board. Members should feel free however to use any image hosting service they want - they are listed in the Changes on CelebsDB Board topic.

I just came back from holidays, so I'll resume my work along with Q to make uploading on our servers possible again.

In the meantime if you know some image hosting site that has similar uploading frame as image$hack then let me know and I'll use it instead.
    Last edited by Turtle; March 18th, 2016 at 08:36 AM.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    There is a maintenance in progress with the attachments server, attachments may not be working.
    Wow wow wow, what's up???
    Are you fixing it? Yeah, yeah? \/

I'm so curious, let me know pleeeease... [-o<

Thanks Given
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsty
    There is a maintenance in progress with the attachments server, attachments may not be working.
    Wow wow wow, what's up???
    Are you fixing it? Yeah, yeah? \/

I'm so curious, let me know pleeeease... [-o<
    The maintenance cycle is over (sorry that I can't change the notice at this tmie).

The LVM portion of the work on dl.celebsdb.com is done and pelnty of space is now available for mod_attach to utilize. I suspect mike and I will do a sanity reboot sometime tonight to make sure it comes up without human interaction

Mike will have to enable the attachments on the board.celebsdb.com server so folks can start using them again (He had to leave for a bit, and I don't have acces to that server to fix posting.php).

In the meantime, one of the mods might want to come up with a plan to migrate all those damn image$hack posts back to this site...

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Turtle; March 9th, 2016 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    6,077 Posts
    Good news indeed !!! I will be on first thing tomorrow to view your sussess !!!

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by butler bill
    Sussess? Put the Brittany Daniel pics down and try typing ButlerBill :P

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    6,077 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardwin
    Sussess? Put the Brittany Daniel pics down and try typing ButlerBill :P
    As you know, my tybing skill is equaled only by my WinRar competence.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    hey Q - can you tell us how it will be now?

ok, 4 pics (one up to 900 KB) we can attach now to a post, right?

but what about rar, zip and the clips/vids extensions? Still over hosting?

And how much free capacity do we have now (in GB)?

And can we now always add a new HDD when space runs low?

If so, it is just a matter of having enough money for that, right?

But generally, if we could always add HDDs, then we could just attach every extension, right?

How about creating a bank account (donation) for collecting money?

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    6,077 Posts
    I would be happy to donate, but as the survey response showed, participation would be limited.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    1 Post
    hey Q - can you tell us how it will be now?
    I'll try

ok, 4 pics (one up to 900 KB) we can attach now to a post, right? but what about rar, zip and the clips/vids extensions? Still over hosting?
    ask mike... personally I'm dead against rar,zip, and tar... then again they are a necessary evil to get over the max file size...

And how much free capacity do we have now (in GB)?
    little over 100 gig's free

And can we now always add a new HDD when space runs low?
    Technically yes, I made sure the vg extent size was large enough to support a volume group of 2TiB. I did this incase these disks were moved to a bigger system, all someone has to do is pvcreate, vgextend, lvextend, then wait forever whil the resize2fs plugs along every so slowly...

Pratically, no way in this system. I don't believe the hosting company will allow more disks in this system.

If so, it is just a matter of having enough money for that, right?
    Yes, you need to have a money tree... mike has never uttered a word about how much things cost, but I'm guessing this site alone runs serveral hundred a month...

But generally, if we could always add HDDs, then we could just attach every extension, right?
    Generally, yes... but pratically no... mod_attach has a fundamental flaw. it only allows [n]one[/b] dir for storage... can you imagin a directory with 1,000,000,000 files in it... sure as hell not on ext3... reiserfs sure, but that was not an option on this server... hell reiserfs allows online resizing so there would be no downtime during the resize....

How about creating a bank account (donation) for collecting money?
    definately ask mike...

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I would be happy to donate, but as the survey response showed, participation would be limited.
    That's true! There are a many loyal members who would help keep the board alive, but most are just lurkers and leeches!

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I understand, but the participation in this survey must not be an indication for how many people will donate and how much money each member will donate.

I think first we need a number in dollars; then we can create a discussion, and NOT only in the chat & support forum, there are also other ways.

Mike could certainly tell us how much money would be needed and when. That would be a first step.

What I see is that many complete pics' sets will be posted as hosted rar- or zip-files. Some members will not get along with that and ask for posting the set as thumbnails again, and some people will help. So, not allowing rar and zip is not really the trick here, it just reduces the speed a little how fast the HDDs will be full again. In my eyes the only real solution is really tons of free space (I guess in the range of TGs)...

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    So we have now around 100 GB free?
    I calculated this will last for around 1 or 2 years, can it be?
    And what will be when this space is filled?
    If I see it right, we cannot increase the free space endless, right?

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Well at the moment, if you want to support the board, just click on the banners and ads. Buying membership on those paysites would support us even more

Also putting links to board.celebsdb.com and www.celebsdb.com on your sites is a good way of supporting us

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I also like to thank everyone who was involved in fixing the board again!

Mike - I like to ask why you decided to not allow rar, zip and clip/vid extensions.

Is it really because free disk space would decrease too rapidly?
    I mean if the new 100 GB free space now lasts for 1 year or for 9 months (just as an example), that's in my eyes no big difference.
    In every case, sooner or later we have to think about extending the free space again.

Will it stay now without rar, zip and clip/vid extensions, or are you thinking about how to make possible that these extensions also can be uploaded directly to the board again?

Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last