Thread: Search engine Famousboard result shows hostmag.ru

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    743 Posts

Search engine Famousboard result shows hostmag.ru

I just wanted to see if anyone was aware of this and if it's known to be good or bad.
    I did a search for a model that's on here and when I clicked it, the url showed hostmag.ru. I couldn't log in unless I temporarily allowed hostmag.ru script through NoScript. I did it but Famousboard site wouldn't allow my login as it didn't remember it and Firefox wanted to know if I wanted to allow hostmag.ru to remember it. I clicked no and my cookie and cache destroyer took the site's cookies and cache away immediately. Time for another malware scan.
    Further investigation is that WOT rates them Poor. And further that they have many host.ru names. So it appears that it may be a spoofed and or faked search engine result.
    Beware.

Thanks,
    Danarchy

2. # ADS

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    6,005 Posts

Re: Search engine Famousboard result shows hostmag.ru

Can I ask which search engine you used, and which model were you searching for?

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    743 Posts

Sure can.
    Duckduckgo.
    Ashley Donahue/Ashlyn Letizzie.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    3,509 Posts

Used Duckduckgo and came to FamousBoard entered " Ashley Donahue " into
    search and was taken directly to her thread.
    No mention of .ru anywhere.
    I am not an expert in web use but is it possible that your 'puter is infected?

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    743 Posts

Just checked again after replying to cheeky_munky and no infection, PUPs or anything. What it sounds like you did differently was look up Famousboard.com and then put in Ashlyey Donahue search on the site. Correct?
    What I did was do a search for Ashley Donahue and Ashlyn Letizzie on Duckduckgo and found the Famousboard logo/icon with the result for her. I mistakenly forgot to look at the url while hovering over the Duckduckgo search result of Famousboard, which would have shown hostmag.ru.
    I'll try it again and if I find it I'll copy it (the result) and the Duckduckgo search address.
    I've seen this before with other adult forum searches, and get to the site and it looks different. This time it seems to go to the site, but with the hostmag.ru address in the address bar. The site looked the same. Seems to be a phishing method to acquire the user's password, which I changed afterward.
    Thanks for the replies as this could endanger users passwords.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    743 Posts

Done and done. Slightly different result, but same offender.
    They changed the address name in search result and changed it by one letter when I went to the site which appears to be Famousboard exactly other than the address and the hvostmag.ru above and right of The Famousboard logo on the site as you'll see by the screenshots. Third screenshot is of the two first authentic Famousboard listings that take you directly to the thread. They are above the fake result by about 15 results.
    This is an older Mac ('09) and never had an infection on it. Have had browser hijacks on a yet older Mac and malware on my 2014 Mac Mini running El Capitan.
    Going to WOT to mark this listing as bad.
    Last edited by Dantithesis; August 21st, 2016 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Added authentic results. Changed spoofs to hijacks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dantithesis For This Useful Post: jogga
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    3,509 Posts

WOW! that is truly weird.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    743 Posts

Yes, but it happens. So, hopefully enough people will see this to be more aware, like I wasn't this time, to watch the actual URLs on search results so they don't get screwed by these criminals. Not sure if the boss can do anything about it.