Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Translation help

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Translation help

i need a phrase translated. i don't know for certain which language it is. i've tried a few different online translation sites but none of them worked. this seems to be a forum with an international representation so maybe someone could help...

it is: de cotŸ

2. # ADS

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    458 Posts

Translation

It looks like a screwed up version of de coté, French for "at/on the side". Probably a bad character substitution somewhere along the line. It looks too funky to be real. I don't know what language a dotted Y would be from. Was there more to this, something that would indicate the language or meaning? If not, I'd go with the French.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Re: Translation

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat
    It looks like a screwed up version of de coté, French for "at/on the side". Probably a bad character substitution somewhere along the line. It looks too funky to be real. I don't know what language a dotted Y would be from. Was there more to this, something that would indicate the language or meaning? If not, I'd go with the French.
    i highly suspected a character substitution problem. your guess of the french translation makes sense, with your translation as a base i would guess in this particular context it translates most closely to "miscellaneous" in english. thanks CC.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    3,618 Posts

I don't know what language a dotted Y would be from.
    It doesn't exist. To the best of my knowledge (and extensive discussions on the www-international@w3.org mailing list), there is no language on the entire planet that uses the character "˙" as a part of its regular orthography. Linguistically, the reason is simple: the diaeresis is often used to represent front vowels, but since the vowel "y" is already one in eg. Finnish, there is no need for a "˙". It is often claimed that ˙ is found in Dutch, but this is a case of mistaken identity. Dutch is a frequent user of the U+0133 LATIN SMALL IJ LIGATURE ij (&ijlig, which the Dutch often treat as one letter and which also happens to resemble ˙, at least if you squint and are chilling out at a coffee shop in Amsterdam. But mere resemblance does not mean identity

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    3,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spike70
    I don't know what language a dotted Y would be from.
    It doesn't exist. To the best of my knowledge (and extensive discussions on the www-international@w3.org mailing list), there is no language on the entire planet that uses the character "˙" as a part of its regular orthography. Linguistically, the reason is simple: the diaeresis is often used to represent front vowels, but since the vowel "y" is already one in eg. Finnish, there is no need for a "˙". It is often claimed that ˙ is found in Dutch, but this is a case of mistaken identity. Dutch is a frequent user of the U+0133 LATIN SMALL IJ LIGATURE ij (&ijlig, which the Dutch often treat as one letter and which also happens to resemble ˙, at least if you squint and are chilling out at a coffee shop in Amsterdam. But mere resemblance does not mean identity
    Very good spike70; that drives us, as Cheshire Cat pointed, to a character substitution problem.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    if it isn't used in any language/alphabet then why does it exist?

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    3,618 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by echoes
    if it isn't used in any language/alphabet then why does it exist?
    Invented by computer engineers to indicate the "windows" key:-

Keyboard shortcuts using the Win Key (˙)
    ˙ = Open Start Menu
    ˙ + D = Restore or minimize all open windows
    ˙ + E = Start Windows Explorer
    ˙ + F = Start Find Files/Folders dialog box
    ˙ + L = Lock computer
    ˙ + M = Minimize all open windows
    ˙ + R = Start Run dialog box
    ˙ + F1 = Start Help Menu and Support Center
    ˙ + Tab = Cycles through all open programs and taskbar buttons. Press ENTER to select.
    ˙ + Ctrl + Tab = Cycle through all open apps/games Taskbar buttons, Tray icons, Start Menu and Quick Launch toolbars (press Right or Left arrows to cycle through Toolbar and Tray items)
    ˙ + Pause/Break = Open 'my computer' properties window.
    ˙ + Shift + M = Restore all open windows
    ˙ + Space = Scroll down one page at a time in Internet Explorer
    ˙ + Back Space = Scroll up one page at a time in Internet Explorer.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    leave it to fuckin microsoft

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    6,077 Posts
    What echoes said

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    There are a lot of weird-ass characters in the Windows extended sets. I recognize a lot of them, but some are pretty bizarre. I often see messed up words on websites, usually involving accented characters and other symbols outside the basic set, so this example didn't surprise me. It seems to be some kind of encoding incompatibility or conversion mishap or whatever.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    734 Posts
    I dont care who you are...this is good shit! VERY interesting!!

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sackett
    what?

huh?

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    3,618 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sackett
    But......theres more......
    In classical Greek, the transcription ˙ for the non-diphthongierten a? (Alpha Ypsilon) may be used. Even there, it is very rare, it comes in, for example, Persian name Arta˙ktes

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    i have mentioned it once before on this board, but i didn't become interested in languages/linguistics until high school. they offered 4 foreign language classes at my high school: german, french, spanish & japanese. the year i started high school was the last year for japanese, so i wasn't able to take it. don't know if i would have even if i could have though...

we were required to take at least two semesters of a foreign language classes which were conversational german/french/spanish (one semester being french & spanish being taught in the same period by the same teacher and the other semester being german taught by another teacher). i took that and it wasn't very challenging.

i decided to take another so it was down to the three choices. everyone was taking either french or spanish so i chose german. i got along with the teacher pretty well any way so that didn't hurt my choice. so i ended up taking it all the way to graduation. conversational, beginning, intermediate, advanced & independent study (which they didn't officially offer). i became close friends with my teacher. i even got to be her tech aid until graduation since she was also the tech/IT person for the school.

her aid & her told me they were very impressed with how well i did (i always got A's or A+'s which didn't happen too often in other classes). i always made an effort to try not to speak with an accent which they were also impressed with because i did it pretty well and virtually no one else cared to try.
    it was more challenging for me than english class because i had to learn more new things which challenged my memory. i have a photographic & very good memory so i found the challenge interesting. it has been six years since i graduated and i can still speak german almost fluently.

since graduating i have studied (on & off) klingon. i find it interesting. don't know it well yet.

studying languages has become more of a free-time hobby for me...

reH bIyIntaHjaj 'ej bIchepjaj!

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    458 Posts
    You didn't become interested in linguistics until high school? What are you, some kind of late bloomer?

And Klingon? That must be the only language that sounds worse than German.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last