Check out Adult FriendFinder, the easiest way to meet single people in your area.
Find hot adventurous women now!

View Poll Results: Is BLACK SABBATH best band ever?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

16 84.21%
  • Yes

3 15.79%

Thread: The Birth of Heavy Metal

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    2,116 Posts

The Birth of Heavy Metal

Thus starts the first song on the first album in a long line of albums by Black Sabbath. Oh, there were 18 studio albums total, and over 30 people that were in the band over the years and all that. But today is a special day. As I post this, it is February 13, 2010. Fourty years ago today, the first Black Sabbath album was released in the UK.

Recorded on October 12th & 13th, 1969, this album set the stage for an awful lot of stuff that has come since. It's been analyzed and appreciated a ton, and if it was't for this release, I wouldn't be doing this website you're reading this short story on. The metal world owes a lot to Iommi, Butler, Ward, & Osbourne for this. Or, if you want to go further into the past, the story of Iommi answering the ad "Ozzy Zig needs gig" is a big deal.

Much has been written over the years about how powerful this album was, how it "invented" heavy metal, or whatever other sexy sounding words you want to throw in front of it, but the fact remains. The original Black Sabbath album is a freakin' masterpiece. And today it turns 40 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sabbath
    Showing appreciation motivates posters, press the THANKS! button.

2. # ADS

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    happy anniversary black sabbath. i'm a big metal fan.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Good - yes, great even - yes, one of the best ever - yes, seminal - yes. But the BEST BAND EVER? Too subjective a question for my taste.
    The Fathers of Heavy Metal -probably.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    i feel the same way. the best band ever is such a subjective and personal thing, there's only a small percentage around the world that would call sabbath the best band ever. certainly pioneers of heavy metal, the forefathers of almost a whole new genre of music but the best band ever? nope, don't quite think so.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    73 Posts
    'Deep Purple' for me.