Artist Spencer Tunick has issued an invitation to Lady GaGa to strip off and join thousands of naked Australians on the steps of the Sydney Opera House next month.

The Poker Face singer this week revealed she was inspired by Tunick, who is famous for photographing masses of naked people in public, and wrote an 80-page thesis on him when she was younger.

Tunick will arrive in Sydney next week to work on his Mardi Gras installation, and said he would love Lady GaGa to be a part of it.

"I would like to send an open invitation to Lady GaGa to fly to Australia and participate in my next installation in Sydney at the Opera House on March 1," Tunick told AAP from Hawaii.

"I was thinking she could slip in there anonymously and no one would know she was there. I'd be glad to not tell a soul.

"Or maybe she would want to pose, maybe she would want people to know she was there but just couldn't be found in the crowd. You know, then it could be like 'where's Lady Gaga?'"

The Grammy Award-winning singer has become one of the most photographed performers in the world, thanks to her theatrical, daring, risque and downright bizarre costumes.

But Tunick said there would be no special rules for Lady GaGa - she would have to get naked to be part of the installation.

"Everyone has to be nude," he said.

Tunick said he was flattered that he was an inspiration to the singer, who has become a pop phenomenon.

"I'm sort of speechless because it's one thing to enjoy someone's work or collect their artwork, but it's another thing for someone to write about your work," he said.

"I always thought she was a combination of a musician and a performance artist.

"I think it's pretty profound and I think she's very provocative and pushes a lot of buttons and it's a nice compliment."

New Mardi Gras chief executive Michael Rolik said Lady GaGa would be welcomed with open arms.

"Lady GaGa is a powerhouse figure in the world of performance art and a strong supporter of gay and lesbian community worldwide," he said.

"She is renowned for her theatrical costumes, but given her love of Spencer Tunick, I'm sure appearing naked with several thousand Sydneysiders will be her ultimate show-stopping performance."

source http://au.launch.yahoo.com/news/arti...to-pose-naked/