Footage of Miley Cyrus smoking a bong at a party has emerged after it was apparently stolen from a friend’s video camera.

The video was shot in Cyrus's hometown of Los Angeles, TMZ reports.

According to the gossip website, she was smoking the drug salvia — which is legal to possess in California.

Cyrus celebrated her 18th birthday only five days before the video was shot, a source said.

The video shows Cyrus smoking the bong as a friend lights it for her.

She then leans back saying, "I'm not going to lose it now" and giggles.

A friend tells her to lie down, adding: "I'm just going to document the s***t out of this right now."

Cyrus then, leaning on one elbow, looks to the camera and says "I'm having a little bit of a bad trip."

She then sits up abruptly saying "Is that a Liam lookalike or what the hell is that?"

"Is that my boyfriend?"

"Oh my god, he looks so much like him, oh my god," she repeats.

"Is that me tripping? Am I tripping? He doesn't look like Liam at all?" she asks her friends before breaking down into laughter.

The source said the video was shot by a friend of Cyrus's and then it was believed to have been stolen or copied from their camera.

According to US drug authorities, salvia is a Mexican herb which is typically smoked for its hallucinogenic side effects.

"Effects include perceptions of bright lights, vivid colors and shapes, as well as body movements and body or object distortions," the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) states.

Other side effects include uncontrolled laughter, overlapping realities, in-coordination, dizziness, and slurred speech.

Australia became the first country to ban salvia possession in 2002.

Source http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertain...-bong-on-video