Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Thread: Bogus Thumbnails

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    6,077 Posts
    Yeh, but my bowels are loose because of it.

2. # ADS

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by butler bill
    Yeh, but my bowels are loose because of it.
    well you wouldn't have this problem if you didn't sit around with your thumb up your ass
    Everybody smiles in Snotsville.....OR ELSE!!!

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Just my thoughts:
    1. "Read the rules" I don't see anything in the rules about being responsible for checking if the thumbs in your posts are accurate. If this is really the posters responsibility, the rules should say so. I think, because the poster is the "donor", he/she should reasonably expect the post should be reliable. If previewing posts is a requirement, it should be clearly stated in the rules.

2. Deleting posts or attachments. If something is deleted by a moderator, I think, a pm to the poster should be required. I appreciate the hard work required to be a moderator but it is a voluntary job after all. The statement "YOU CAN"T MAKE PEOPLE READ" is true, but people can't read nothing. Just because many (perhaps most) people don't read the rules or pm's does not mean not everyone does. Sorry, mods but I think that's part of the job.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gryphondo
    As far as my right to be angry, you're off the mark. Having little tolerance for those who choose not to edit their own post has nothing to do with being angry. You seem to be a bit too caught up in progressing your position to fully realize what I've said..
    My experience definately makes me agree with you and snot on the anger issue. Getting angry wastes energy and time and when you're shoveling shit you don't get angry that it stinks, you just shovel faster to get the job done sooner!

Thanks Given
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    1 Post

Solved?

The Problem appears to be solved... let this be the line in the sand and let me know if there are any NEW thumbnail problems...

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boddabing42
    1. "Read the rules" I don't see anything in the rules about being responsible for checking if the thumbs in your posts are accurate. If this is really the posters responsibility, the rules should say so. I think, because the poster is the "donor", he/she should reasonably expect the post should be reliable. If previewing posts is a requirement, it should be clearly stated in the rules.
    It's only common sense to preview your post before you submit it! Especially when you know that the board has certain problems! Since you have recently decided to make an issue of this, I'll draft a new amendment to the rules and submit it to Mike! It will then be up to him to decide whether or not to include common sense in with the rules! However you look at it, it is the posters responsibility to be sure that everything checks out with their post before it's submitted!

2. Deleting posts or attachments. If something is deleted by a moderator, I think, a pm to the poster should be required.
    A PM is a courtesy, plain and simple!

I appreciate the hard work required to be a moderator but it is a voluntary job after all. The statement "YOU CAN"T MAKE PEOPLE READ" is true, but people can't read nothing. Just because many (perhaps most) people don't read the rules or pm's does not mean not everyone does. Sorry, mods but I think that's part of the job.
    It is true that being a Moderator is a voluntary job! We don't get paid for the work that we do here. But you also need to remember that this is not a pay site! You don't have to pay to be a member here! Although we value the opinions of the members, when it comes right down to it, they carry very little weight! We have been given broad discretionary powers, and that basicaly means that the Administrators trust us to do our "jobs" to the best of our judgment! If we tell a member to do, or not to do something, they can disagree if they wish, but they had best do as they are told! Until decided otherwise by the Administrators, a Moderators word is law!

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    6,077 Posts
    I would have said it nicer than GR. We try very hard to be fair, not to be arbitrary. We spend much more time helping than yelling at members. The time does come when the line must be drawn though, less the board become chaotic. When the line is drawn, thats the end of the discussion. I do not recall EVER having an arguement with a member. I am aware of some members that have gone away and never come back after I have "explained" things to them, but our job is to keep the board clean and enforce the rules. That is what we agreed to do when we took this job and that's how it is. That's how ALL well run boards are.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by butler bill
    I would have said it nicer than GR. We try very hard to be fair, not to be arbitrary. We spend much more time helping than yelling at members. The time does come when the line must be drawn though, less the board become chaotic. When the line is drawn, thats the end of the discussion. I do not recall EVER having an arguement with a member. I am aware of some members that have gone away and never come back after I have "explained" things to them, but our job is to keep the board clean and enforce the rules. That is what we agreed to do when we took this job and that's how it is. That's how ALL well run boards are.
    Ok, I guess I was a bit insensitive in my remarks! I apologize if I have been insulting in the way that I explained things. I do not, however, apologize for what I have said! We work very hard to keep this place running smoothly and looking nice and neat! When someone cops an attitude it sets me off! At any rate, I'll try to be a little nicer in the future!

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    As a poster I feel that all the pieces of the post are my resposibility until I hit the Submit button and then it's in the hands of the mods. It's my responibility to name and attach correctly all the pieces of the post and to proofread my text and try to catch any errors. Preview gives me a chance to check everything, including the thumbnails, before posting. I certainly spent many years on dialups all the way back to the 300 baud acoustic modems so I have great admiration for you and Horsty to post so much here. On my DSL getting a preview window takes about 5 seconds so I'd think you could get a Preview in around 30 seconds. Remember that's spread over 12 pictures instead of 4 so it's the equivalent of previewing three posts at once.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Just my thoughts:
    Look, dont be a prick about it, you know damn well you hate it when you're looking at a post and you see a bad thumb and so do I. I dont think its asking too much of anybody to just make sure everything is right with their posts.

2. Deleting posts or attachments. If something is deleted by a moderator, I think, a pm to the poster should be required. I appreciate the hard work required to be a moderator but it is a voluntary job after all. The statement "YOU CAN"T MAKE PEOPLE READ" is true, but people can't read nothing. Just because many (perhaps most) people don't read the rules or pm's does not mean not everyone does. Sorry, mods but I think that's part of the job.
    Gee thanks, as if this weren't already a thankless job, here you go just kicking us when we're down....hey do you throw bottles at cops too?
    Bottom line is we are mods but we're also members too which means we we like to post and look at posts too cept we have the added job of trying to keep this board clean so people like you can enjoy all the pretty girls without having to wade through a bunch of shit!

Give us a break here, you have no idea how much work we do to keep this board clean or just how dumb so many people can be. We have a huge list of banned members and damn big list of people 1 warning away from being banned. You say "Just because many (perhaps most) people don't read the rules or pm's does not mean not everyone does" and sit and think thats a good reason to make us waste our time sending PMs to everybody but look at it this way, not everybody who drinks and drives kills people but you still cant do it, why?, because it would take too much time to weed the good drunk drivers from the bad drunk drivers.

If you think your time is too good to waste fixing your posts, don't bitch about the way we fix them.
    and if you don't like the way we run the board than you can do one of two things, accept it or leave it!

P.S. if you think that was too harsh just wait till im really pissed.
    Everybody smiles in Snotsville.....OR ELSE!!!

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Sorry, my message seems to have been misunderstood. I only meant to point out improvements to posting rules to indicate in those rules that posts would be removed without explanation for more specific (in rules) reasons. I did not mean to criticize the behavior of the moderators who do a generally good job.

As snotmerchant wrote:

If you think your time is too good to waste fixing your posts, don't bitch about the way we fix them.
    and if you don't like the way we run the board than you can do one of two things, accept it or leave it!

I completely agree. There is a problem with bad thumbs on this board which,as far as I can tell, nobody is working on. I don't know how "good" my time is but I do know I only have a limited amount of it so wasting more of it would be unwise. I, therefore, accept your "take it or leave it" option. I did think that there might (possibly) be an "improve it" option but c'est la vie.

Best wishes!

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I completely agree. There is a problem with bad thumbs on this board which,as far as I can tell, nobody is working on. I don't know how "good" my time is but I do know I only have a limited amount of it so wasting more of it would be unwise. I, therefore, accept your "take it or leave it" option. I did think that there might (possibly) be an "improve it" option but c'est la vie.

Best wishes!
    The problem is being worked on, even as we speak. Hence the notice at the top of the page....

Maintenance in progress on the attachment server.
    Still (01:00 GMT) regenerating 180,000+ thumbnails. Things will be sluggish for several more hours.

But if you feel that you must leave, I bid you adieu!
    c'est la guerre

Thanks Given
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    1 Post

Should be fixed now

I belive all the old thumbnails are fixed, and the new posts shouldn't have this problem anymore...

if you come across any broken thumbs, Please post the topic name, page, and if possible the url to the attachment that is broken...

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Re: Should be fixed now

Quote Originally Posted by Q
    I belive all the old thumbnails are fixed, and the new posts shouldn't have this problem anymore...

if you come across any broken thumbs, Please post the topic name, page, and if possible the url to the attachment that is broken...
    thank u quatus and all mods for all the invaluable work they have done to make this board even better.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    6,077 Posts

Re: Should be fixed now

Quote Originally Posted by eno
    Quote Originally Posted by Q

thank u quatus and all mods for all the invaluable work they have done to make this board even better.
    You always say the nicest things Not that anyone thinks that you are trying to suck-up or anything Glad someone reads all of this stuff.

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last