Thread: Download and save streaming video files

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Download and save streaming video files

Does anybody have a program or technique available to do this? I remember with the program GoZilla I was able to leech some streaming videos. But I was wondering what other techniques were out there.
    Sig deleted, dead image. Turtle.

2. # ADS

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    6,077 Posts
    Here are instructions that a member of another board gave me and gave permission to post elsewhere. I have not been successfull using them, but I an not successful with a lot of things when it comes to computers.

Shatylle

JLH Addict
    Global Moderator

Signup date: 17.04.2005 Location: Harare Zimbabwe

Hi, I decided to write a quick guide to explain how to save a streamed WMV file to your hard disc. I will use the Scarlett Johanson Vanity Fair shoot for example.

http://www.vanityfair.com/videos/060...u_keira_choose

On the selection Page choose Windows Media Player streaming and you will normaly want to choose the highest quality option (Cable, DSL) although it makes no difference to the process.

Then click next, or Play Now whatever the case may be.

2. It will either load a separate page or a separate frame as soon as you see the WMP plugin load

You can stop the loading now to conserve bandwidth as the plugin is all we need. Right click the plugin window and select "Properties"

This will open the Properties dialog box if you look to the bottom of the window you will see a section called "Location:" select the full link to the right hopfully it will end in a .wmv but this is not inportant.

"mms://a1284.v13882e.c13882.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1284/13882/v0001/condenetin1.download.akamai.com/13882/vanityfair/outtakes/b-rolls/060208feou_keira_windows_hi.wmv"

3. Now you need to simply past this into a download manager I use GigaGet but it shoudn't make a difference.

I will point out that this method does not always work although I cannot think of a example or an explanation at this point.

If you have any questions or queries don't hesitate to post or PM me.

Enjoy

East Side, West Side, All Around The Town.
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Download and Save...

I've had success using WM Recorder:

http://www.wmrecorder.com

You can read about it on their website, where they offer a free demo version so that you can see if it is suitable for your needs. And, it's easy to use.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Hey thanks alot butler bill! Yeah that is a similar technique that I used with Gozilla except Gozilla did it automatically for me, but like this person pointed it's not the best technique. Another thing I was thinking of is if anybody knew of a good, free streaming video recording program.

Bureaucrat typed:
    I've had success using WM Recorder:

http://www.wmrecorder.com

You can read about it on their website, where they offer a free demo version so that you can see if it is suitable for your needs. And, it's easy to use.
    Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the demo only lets you record 2minutes of video at a time.[/b]

East Side, West Side, All Around The Town.
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Download and Save...

You are correct about the two minute recording limit, so it truly is a demo. My requirements were the same as yours: good and free. But since my needs were immediate, and I didn't find both, I settled on just good.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Well, I can wait a while. And wmrecorder costs what, $30.00, yeah I think I can wait. So if anybody else knows of a good, free streaming video recorder please share.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    I have found that most of the time you can hunt down the buffered file in Windows\Temp somewhere. I use Firefox so the file is usually in one of the plugin folders. This also usually works for Quicktime but RealMedia usually creates a file there and deletes when the stream is finished. My main problem is I have an unresolved problem playing content from the jumior Media Player window imbedded in sites. WMP9 works fine (I'm on 98SE) but the imbedded player won't play. Gone all through the WMP site and reloaded the plugin and read the Knowledge Base but no luck.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I have found that Hi Net Recorder works the best for window media player streams. And it records the whole show... no demo. Once you find the stream you want to record, Right Click - Properties - Copy (Ctrl - C) the URL then Paste (Ctrl-V) it into the recoreder.

http://en.hoonnet.com/english1/recorder_intro.html

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lineback
    I have found that most of the time you can hunt down the buffered file in Windows\Temp somewhere. I use Firefox so the file is usually in one of the plugin folders. This also usually works for Quicktime but RealMedia usually creates a file there and deletes when the stream is finished. My main problem is I have an unresolved problem playing content from the jumior Media Player window imbedded in sites. WMP9 works fine (I'm on 98SE) but the imbedded player won't play. Gone all through the WMP site and reloaded the plugin and read the Knowledge Base but no luck.
    I always wondered about where Windows/Temp would store that file if it did?

With your other issue since you have Firefox and you already downloaded the windows plugin maybe you need the Activex plugin. Here is a site that might help with that and other problems related to your issue:
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=206213

If not maybe you have streaming disabled in your firewall or something.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phatjoe88
    I have found that Hi Net Recorder works the best for window media player streams. And it records the whole show... no demo. Once you find the stream you want to record, Right Click - Properties - Copy (Ctrl - C) the URL then Paste (Ctrl-V) it into the recoreder.

http://en.hoonnet.com/english1/recorder_intro.html
    That's pretty phat phatjoe88 thanks a bunch on the hizzout! With a fraschizzle to the nizzle to that!