Thread: Question about board formatting

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Question about board formatting

this is just a question about something cosmetic regarding the board...

but why does the board not always line up images in the same line? its kind of a waste of space.

see here for example if you don't know what i'm talking about.

2. # ADS

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I believe this is due to file names being longer than the width of a thumb. If the file name is not longer, 15 pics will properly appear - 5 in the upper row and the other 10 in the lower row, and that looks quite good. I'd personally like it more if the limit would be 10 pics because in this case we would see 5 and 5 in the upper and lower row, respectively - that looks really fine. If the file names are like "lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala.jpg", there's no way to show 10 pics in one row and the post looks quite messed up. Normally, file names shouldn't be altered, but in case of pics I sometimes do that exactly for the reason of having them nicely in the two rows. Also, if there are several pics posted that have more width than height, one (or more?) pics will be displayed on the third row. --- If this is what you were talking about.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    yeah it was. i never noticed that that might be the reason why. seems like this could be easily "corrected" by the admin...

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    756 Posts
    Actually this is a very small "problem". Those of us who have been members for some time have seen the board go through many changes and some of them have not been that easy. The last time that we changed servers we were down for almost three weeks. Things are going swimmingly right now thank you very much. Rather than risk fucking up a good thing I vote that we leave well enough alone.
    "Puritanism is the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy." - H.L. MENCKEN

East Side, West Side, All Around The Town.
    Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    What is seen also seems to depend upon the screen resolution of the monitor. As I vary mine, the number of pictures per row changes. My current setting generally results in 3 rows of 5 pictures each, which I find aesthetically pleasing. Long file names and wide pictures change this pattern.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by idspud
    Actually this is a very small "problem". Those of us who have been members for some time have seen the board go through many changes and some of them have not been that easy. The last time that we changed servers we were down for almost three weeks. Things are going swimmingly right now thank you very much. Rather than risk fucking up a good thing I vote that we leave well enough alone.
    well thats all well and fine since its not up to any of us...
    but i highly doubt it would "fuck up a good thing"...

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    3,031 Posts

Re: Question about board formatting

Quote Originally Posted by disturbedite
    this is just a question about something cosmetic regarding the board...

but why does the board not always line up images in the same line? its kind of a waste of space.

see here for example if you don't know what i'm talking about.
    In this particular case, it's not the length of the pics name that's at fault, though often times that is the case. In this case it's the fault of your browser. I suspect your using Firefox. I too use Firefox in most instances and the pics like the ones in your example sometimes do not line up as uniformly. However, if you go to the same example using Explorer, you'll find that the pics line up differently. In this case, there are 5 pics in the top row, 6 in the 2nd row and 1 in the 3rd. I seriously doubt, that given that the cosmetic line up is a browser issue, that the admin could put together an easy tweak to make the pics line up more aesthetically pleasing to us users of Firefox. I seem to recall that we had some discussion a while back regarding this issue.

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    We went through a major discussion of this when Q was trying to fix problems with the board software. He was a very knowledgeable person despite his problems dealing with people and he wrote that to make the display uniform would require several changes including a rewrite to the "mod_attach" add-on piece of software that allows local posting. This module is not an original part of the phpBB package but was written as an add-on and wasn't written to dynamically resize the thumbs locations in all browsers at all widths. This is just my recollection of the discussions of more than a year ago and from some research in the phpBB forum. Many times pages come out as less than optimal but to me it's a non-issue. The system works perfectly most of the time so just post and don't worry about it. As spud said don't mess with a working system and screw it up!

Thanks Given
    Thanks Received
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    well now that you two have cleared up that it is a sort of complex issue, then yes the point of it might "fuck something up" is valid. but i was going on the idea that it was the board software that affects formatting, not something more complex like a separate addon piece of software.

maybe this will be useful for future reference for ppl that are wondering that.

and yes i am using firefox, i test firefox 3.0 trunk.
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9a5pre) Gecko/20070527 Minefield/3.0a5pre - Build ID: 2007052704

i'm on kubuntu linux so i suppose i could try it with konqueror too to see if the issue is exactly the same...